ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!? **sing like Hank Williams Jr.** (reference here at 0.36 seconds)
The best season is upon us birds!! No, lady in the plaid skirt, forest green sweater, and PSL in hand, not fall. Fall is not upon us until September 22nd, read it and weep. Sit down. The season I’m talking about is football season. Chilly Thursday nights, and crisp Sunday days are now stacked with friendly hang outs, gathering around the television to watch grown men throw a leather ball back and forth. Ahhh . . . ‘MERICA!
However, Bree and I started this little thing called Whole30 four days ago and it limits us to pretty much everything a normal human being would consume on days like this. No chips, no bean-dip, no beer, and no chili. AHA! Until meow.
Introducing the slow cooker, bean-less, pumpkin chili. Get ready to be mind blown with how good this tastes. No sugar, no carbs! Just filled with veggies, protein, veggies, and more veggies. Giving you a touch of sweetness, fiber, and vitamin A. See what you’ll need, and how to create this pumpkinlicious (I’m aware this is not a word) concoction.What you’ll need
1 tbsp coconut oil or avocado oil
1 large yellow onion
1 medium green bell pepper, diced
6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 1/2 lbs. of grass-fed ground beef, bison, or turkey
1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes
1/2 of a 6-oz. can tomato paste
1 14-oz. can of pumpkin puree
1/2 cup of chicken broth or water
2 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
2 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. sea salt or celtic salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper Let’s take it step by step
1. After adding your oil (coconut, or avocado) to a large pan, on medium-high heat simply sauté the onions and peppers, stirring occasionally for about 7 minutes, or just until onions start to soften.
2. Add in your 6 minced garlic cloves and let this cook for an additional minute, or until fragrant.
3. Lastly add in your meat, and cook until the meat is nearly cooked through. About 8-10 minutes, but we prefer to go off the looks of it.
4. Transfer the meat mixture (onions, bell peppers, garlic, meat) to your slow cooker.
5. Add in your remaining ingredients and stir it all up!
6. Set your slow cooker to LOW and cook for about 6-7 hours. Serve with desired toppings, or none at all.
xx bree + makenzie
Photos by :: Birds
Write-up by :: Makenzie
OG recipe by :: The Real Food Dietitians